- About Department
Since time immemorial, human beings have been engaged in building structures from huts made of mud to high rise buildings. As civilizations matured, it simultaneously led to the development of bigger, better and diverse structures. Civil engineering is a broad field of engineering dealing with the design, construction and maintenance of structures including roads, buildings, airports, tunnels, dams, bridges, and water supply.
Civil engineering is the oldest of all engineering fields. Amongst all branches of engineering, the range and application of civil engineering is the broadest and the most visible. In fact, entire infrastructural framework of a modern nation is the creation of civil engineers. The credit of building, mighty power plants, dams, airports, sea ports, highways, inland waterways and industrial plants goes to civil engineers. Wherever you might be, in cities or towns or in the far-flung areas of the country you simply cannot miss the creation of civil engineers. The nature of this profile makes it an evergreen prospect for career minded youngsters.
The department of Civil Engineering has been established in 2010 in TIT (Excellence). With an intake of 120 students the branch moves a step forward in the given context. Department is privileged to have faculty with consistently good academic record with wide range of qualification like masters in technology and engineering.
Message From HOD
Today, the world is experiencing vast changes-the technological revolution, population growth, environmental concerns, and more. All create unique challenges for civil engineers. The next decades will be the most creative, demanding, and rewarding times for civil engineers and now is the best time to find out if Civil Engineering.Thus today’s civil engineer should possess in depth Civil Engineering skills for analysis, design, construction and maintenance of various structures, managerial and communication skills for better management of various structures. He should be also trained to understand and solve real world problems in Civil Engineering.There are many career options for civil engineers. Civil engineers can work in Government departments (ranging from municipality, corporation, state and central governments and defense), public sector undertakings like SAIL, GAIL, NTPC, NHPC, BHEL etc. and various private sector organizations (contracting and consulting firms). Initially, the nature of job may be construction supervision, design, marketing or production. As they gain more experience, they manage projects. Good wishes to future Civil Engineers.
Laboratories in Civil Engineering Department
The department has a privilege of having well equipped instruments of modern day world in its laboratories to meet the requirements of becoming up to date with the emerging trends and innovations in the Civil Engineering field. Following laboratories have been set up in the department to train and educate students in the diversified divisions of the field.
View of few Labs
- BCE and EM – This lab includes various facilities i.e. experimental verification of law of forces, application of instruments for different surveying practices and measurements besides testing of materials.
- Engineering Geology – This lab is established in order to study the different types of minerals, rocks which are readily available in lab and charts.
- Surveying – Department can boast of this lab which consists of advanced equipments such as Total station, GPS beside having auto level theodolite etc.
- Material Testing – This lab is up to dated with equipments of testing for cement, concrete and other materials.
- Fluid Mechanics and Machinery – This lab includes all different instrument range to measure discharge, velocity, Reynolds number and other quantities of discipline.
- Highway Engineering – This laboratory includes all the equipments required to test aggregates, bitumen for determining the different values, used in highway engineering material testing.
- Structural Engineering – In this laboratory different equipments has been setup to study and evaluate the effects of different types of loading on structures.
- Environmental Engineering – This lab is well equipped with different instruments to test and check the quality of water for different required quantities.
- Geotechnical Engineering – This lab has been incorporated with various equipped with advanced apparatuses and devices to test various soil specimens.
Future Of Civil Engineering
The Department of Civil Engineering planned different activities:
- The department organizes a Technical Event every year of various technical activities .
- The department invites Guest Lectures and Expert Lectures from outside experts.
- The department will organize technical workshops and Field Training for its Students.
- The department plans to organize additional lectures for weak students.
- The department organize social activities as a part of social service to the nation.