Education is the transmission of civilization (Will Durant)
Ever increasing pace of development in electronics has made an Electronics Engineer a catalyst for the change of the modern society. The Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering has been consistently working towards the goal to produce highly skilled and scientifically oriented manpower through flexible, adaptive and progressive training programs and a cohesive interaction among the research organizations, academicians and industries.
The Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering was established in the year 2000 with an intake of 60 in graduate program and currently department is having an annual intake of 120. Department is also running PG programs in three fields i.e. Digital communication & Microelectronics & VLSI Design with intake of 24 each and Electronics & Communication with intake of 18.
Department has consistently maintained an exemplary academic record. The greatest asset of the department is its highly motivated and learned faculty, with a strong vision & mission to nurture the students with core and multidisciplinary field with academic excellence, placement and simultaneously inculcating core values to the learners & to educate students in order to produce competent technocrats for professional carrier, higher studies and enable the students to develop skills to solve complex technological problems of current time.
The department has faculty members having vast experience in their field. The faculty has succeeded in keeping a lively atmosphere among the students, with timely up gradations in the curriculum and innovative teaching techniques. The staff members are deputed to participate in workshops, conferences, symposia and refresher courses to keep in pace with recent developments in the field of Electronics & Communications Engineering. The available diversity of expertise of the faculty with the support of the other staff prepares the students to work in global multicultural environment.
The department has high-quality infrastructure and is equipped with full-fledged laboratories such as Communication Engineering lab, Microprocessor & Microcontroller Lab, Electronics Devices & Circuits Lab, Optical &Microwave Lab, Signal Processing lab, Project Lab. All these labs complement the high standards set by the competitive syllabus and nurture the inclination of the students towards research and development, besides giving them the necessary and sufficient backing of practical knowledge that they need. The Department provides access to study of high end software like Mathworks Suite (MATLAB Software & its Tools Boxes), Xilinx, Circuit Design Simulation & PCB Design Tools, and Cadence University Bundle 1 – Analog Suite Front End & Back End. Workshops on current technologies, such as Workshop on Microcontrollers and Embedded Systems are regularly organized.
The graduates of the Electronics & Communication Stream have been selected by some of the world’s leading corporations & as well as by most of the leading Indian counter parts. High number of students of the department are placed through campuses in companies like IBM, Infosys, TCS, Accenture, Hexaware etc and leaders in academia like from IITs, Defense, R&D institutions and various academic institutions abroad regularly provide lectures, and organize training and other technical events throughout the year to enhance the exposure available to our students.
Recently department has organized number of workshops in the recent trending fields like MATLAB, PCB Designing & App development. Department is keen to impart knowledge on recent engineering trends by organizing various activities like Expert Lectures, Seminars, Workshops & Conferences. Also periodic industrial tours are organized for the awareness in latest trending technologies. Department organizes annual technical event named SPANDAN.
We hope that we will continue to deliver our best to serve the society and mankind. It is also expected that our students will continue to pass-on the skills which they have developed during their stay at this department to whole of the world for a better society. We will be happy to receive suggestions for further improvement and development of the department.
Vision of the department:
To become a centre of excellence in the field of Electronics and Communication engineering by enabling students to attain domain knowledge, lifelong learning skills and ethical values to serve the nation.
Mission of the department:
M1: To create an academic ambience through competent faculty and encouraging multidisciplinary interaction.
M2: To establish state of the art infrastructure facilities that will pave the dissemination of technical knowledge in the field of Electronics and Communication Engineering.
M3: Exposing students to new tools and technologies of Electronics and Communication Engineering.
M4: Providing an environment to actively participate in enhancing problem solving and leadership qualities and team spirit.
PEO 1: Graduates will become an established professional in the field of Electronics and Communication engineering and related fields with sound ethical values.
PEO 2: Graduates will demonstrate all necessary engineering and scientific competence to become an entrepreneur in the field of electronics and communication and allied fields considering social and environmental issues.
PEO 3: Graduates will possess solid foundation in the field of Electronics and Communication engineering to be applied in their higher studies and research.
Programme Outcomes (POs)
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
PROGRAM SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES (PSOs)
PSO I: : Graduates will be competentto solve complex engineering problems in the field of Communication and signal processing.
PSO II: Graduates will be able to adapt modern engineering hardware and software tools todesign and develop Electronic circuits.
PSO III: Graduates will use technological advancements to develop electronics and communication projects in the field of embedded systems and VLSI Design.
Dr. Vikas Gupta (M.Tech., Ph.D.)
Electronics and Communication Engineering is the branch that deals with designing and testing circuits that use the Electronics and Communication Engineering is the branch that deals with designing and testing circuits that use the electromagnetic properties of electrical components such as resistors, capacitors, inductors and transistors to achieve a particular functionality. The theoretical, together with the practical content of the course provides a thorough knowledge of the core concepts relating to transmission of signals along the globe. The aim of TIT, is to develop in young technocrats, an ability to solve design oriented problems in electronic circuits and various communication systems. Specialized knowledge is imparted regarding simulation of various processes using MATLab, Circuit Simulation, DSP, Microwave engineering, VLSI design tools etc. Electronics & Communication Engg. stream is always in great demand because of broad based coverage which also includes Communication and IT. Electronics & Communication engineers have good employment opportunity in Electronics & Communication including Cellular telephones, Microwave, Satellite & IT fields.
Laboratories in Electronincs and Communication Department
- Electronics Lab
- Digital Lab
- Communication Lab
- Microwave & Antenna Lab
- Microprocessor Lab
- Project Lab
- Digital Communication Lab
- Optical Communication Lab
- Comp. Net. & Trans. Line Lab
View of Department Labs
Electronics Devices and Circuits Lab
This Lab includes Electronics Circuit, Electronics Devices and Design Laboratory. This Lab consists of all types of measuring instruments and cathode ray oscilloscope, Power Supply, Multimeters, function generators and various types of experiment kits. This Laboratory is specially designed to enhance the capabilities of the students for designing basic analog circuits like oscillators, multivibrators, amplifiers, drivers etc.
The experiments in this laboratory enable the students to gather basic knowledge on communication systems. Here they can perform different experiments which are the fundamental blocks of any communication system used now-a-days. The experiments include study of AM, FM, ASK, FSK, PSK, PAM, PWM, TDM, FDM etc. Advance Communication Lab comprises of Data Communication Trainer, LAN Trainer, Advance controller network trainer, ISDN training system, CDMA trainer.
Digital Circuits Lab
Introduction to the vast world of digital electronics is given in this laboratory. Students learn to design different combinational circuits like Adder/ Subtractor, Encoder/Decoder, and Code converters. They also learn to design and analyze sequential circuits like Registers/Counters, Analog to Digital Converter and Digital to Analog Converter. It can support different experiments using discrete components and ICs, which are commonly used in industries and laboratories.
Digital Signal Processing Lab
DSP lab is a software and hardware lab. MATLAB software is used in the experiments and to generate input signals to the DSP and to design the filters used in the various hardware examples. The hardware experiments are real-time sample-by-sample processing examples and include aliasing and quantization effects; the circular buffer implementation of delays, FIR, and IIR filters.Communication Networks and Transmission Lines Lab
Network Laboratory helps the students to study and analyze the behavior of various network nodes, links, stub and impedance matching etc. Students can also perform the experiments on phase and angle displacement, VSWR measurement, behavior of transmission lines, fault localization and various types of filters.Instrumentation and Measurement Lab
Objective of this laboratory is to make the students conversant with the industrial instruments, which are used to measure electrical and non-electrical quantities like resistance, capacitance, frequency, temperature, pressure, flow, level moisture etc. This lab includes study of DC & AC bridges, LVDT, CRO, Function Generator, ADC and DAC. The students are taught about how the instruments are calibrated, maintained through different experimental set-ups. This laboratory familiarizes the students with different static & dynamic characteristics of instruments.
Future of Electronics & Communication Engineering
Electronics and Communication Engineering course give enormous job opportunities in electronics and software companies. All electronic devices need software interface to run and to interface with other device. It also gives great opportunities for research and development, as everyday consumer need new devices to support them in daily life.
Activities organized by the departments:
- The department regularly organizes Technical Event every year in which paper presentation and other technical activities are conducted.
- The department organizes Guest Lectures of Experts from NIT’s and IIT’s.
- The department organizes technical workshops so that Students will be more comfortable with practical aspects on communication engineering, which are useful for their Industrial Exposure.