Pharmacognosy, a science of the knowledge of medicinal plants is one of the important subjects in the overall curriculum of the pharmaceutical education in India. Medicinal preparations derived from natural sources, especially from plants have been in widespread use since time immemorial. In fact, plants remain the main source of medicines for a large proportion of the world’s population, particularly in the developing world like India. At Department of Pharmacognosy, we have made an attempt to bring together recent work and current trends in the field of modern Pharmacognosy and Phytomedicine from different parts of the world.
We aim to index all the medicinal herbs of Madhya Pradesh and in the next few years isolate and characterize some phytomolecules with anti-cancer and hepatoprotective properties.
We are conducting academic and research projects in the following field:
This department has the following labs:-
- Extraction & Isolation of Phytomedicine from Ethanomedicinal plants
- Characterization of Isolated Phytomedicine
- Screening of (Invivo and Invitro) various Phytopharmacological activity
- Herbal Extraction Laboratory
- Macroscopical and Microscopical Characterization Laborator
- Herbarium Laboratory