Civil Engineering is the oldest branch of engineering. Earlier it dealt with shelter but over the centuries also developed to provide services such as road, water supply, bridges, dams, structure for entertainment, and so on.
Civil Engineering virtually touches all facets of our life. Over the years, many specializations have developed are catering to the special needs of the projects such as geotechnical engineering, public health engineering., hydraulics, structure, highway engineering, bridge engineering, earthquake engineering, construction planning & management, environmental engineering, Irrigation engineering. The country is undergoing through massive expansion of infra-structure creating thousands of job opportunity for civil engineers. Realizing the growing need for civil engineers, this department at TIT, Bhopal was established in the year 2012. The department is having well qualified and experienced faculty for teaching diverse subjects of civil engineering. The yearly intake is 120. We have well- equipped labs such as Basic Civil Engineering & Engineering Mechanics Lab, Construction material testing lab, Surveying Lab, Fluid Mechanics Lab, Strength of material lab, Engineering Geology Lab etc.
Vision of the department:
To become a centre of excellence in the field of Civil Engineering by enabling students to attain domain knowledge, lifelong learning skills and ethical values to serve the nation.
Mission of the department:
M1: To create an academic ambience through competent faculty and encouraging multidisciplinary interaction.
M2: To establish state of the art infrastructure facilities that will pave the dissemination of technical knowledge in the field of Civil engineering.
M3: Exposing students to new tools and technologies of Civil engineering.
M4: Providing an environment to actively participate in enhancing problem solving and leadership qualities and team spirit.
- PEO1: Graduates will become an established professional in the field of Civil engineering and related fields with sound ethical values.
PEO2: Graduates will demonstrate all necessary engineering and scientific competence to become an engineer in the field of Civil engineering and allied fields considering social and environmental issues.
PEO3: Graduates will possess solid foundation in the field of Civil engineering to be applied in their higher studies and research.
Engineering Graduates will be able to
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem Analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modelling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at Large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Lifelong learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and lifelong learning in the broadest context of technological change.
PROGRAM SPECIFIC OUTCOMES (PSOs)
PSO1. Graduates will be able to apply knowledge of civil engineering for analyzing and designing projects in the field of Structures, Hydraulics and Irrigation engineering
PSO2. Graduates will design and develop civil engineering projects concerning environment, ecology, energy conservation and safety.
PSO3. Graduates will be able to plan and execute civil engineering projects applying relevant codes of practice for materials and techniques.
Civil Engineering is considered to be the most versatile branch among all the engineering branches. It is the branch with a lot of diversity from Geotechnical Engineering to Structural engineering, Environmental to Hydraulics, Transportation to Hydrology, Civil Engineering can be considered as a single largest branch among all the engineering branches.
Department of Civil Engineering at TIT, Bhopal was established in 2012 and has continually upgraded itself in terms of academic quality and infrastructure including laboratories. The department appoints the finest young and dynamic faculty members for its degree program. Students are exposed to well-defined academic programs along with a host of sports, cultural and organizational activities in a vibrant and beautiful campus. The presence of experimental and computational facilities, active institute-industry interaction, national and international academic programs and industrial/research training opportunities help the students in the department to excel in the competitive professional life.
The department is committed to providing excellent in classroom infrastructure, enrichment of the academic and professional experience of students, outreach to the engineering community and society, and advancements in Civil Engineering.
All The Best Student’s
Civil Engineering Laboratories
Civil Engineering Department is well-equipped with some of the most defined and technically modern laboratories to provide a superior level of practical education to its students. The laboratories are specifically designed with excellent facilities to meet the requirements of A.I.C.T.E. and University.
- Basic Civil Engg & Engg Mechanics Lab
- Strength of material laboratory
- Advance Survey laboratory
- Material testing laboratory
- Fluid mechanics laboratory
- Engineering Geology laboratory
- Geo technical Engg. Laboratory
View of few labs
Strength of material laboratory :
Students perform practical to test the theory taught in the class to understand behaviour of various structures such as arches, beams, columns and trusses. The following equipment are available in the lab:
- Unsymmetrical bending apparatus
- Curved member apparatus
- Verification of Clark Maxwell’s reciprocal theorem apparatus
- Redundant joint apparatus
- Elastically coupled beam apparatus
- Deflection of truss apparatus
- Two hinged arch apparatus
- Three hinged arch apparatus
- Behaviour of columns and struts apparatus
Advance Survey laboratory :
This laboratory houses advanced electronic instruments such as total station, electronic theodolite and auto level. This caters to the academic requirement of semester V. These modern equipment are being increasingly used in the survey of road and industry layout.
Fluid mechanics laboratory :
Recently we have procured following equipments:
- Digital Theodolite.
- Flow over weir apparatus
- Model for hydraulic ram and reciprocating pump
- Equipment for determination of metacentric height
- Calibration of mouth piece apparatus
Existing equipment are:
- Pipe friction apparatus
- Pipe fitting apparatus
- Bernoulli’s theorem apparatus
- Impact of jet apparatus
- Reynold’s number apparatus
CMT Lab :
CMT Lab is equipped with all the equipments like :-
- Compaction Factor Test.
- Abrasion Resistance Test (Los-Angles Machine).
- Dumpy level.
- Measuring tape and metric chain.
- Compressive Testing machine.
- Impact value.
- Crushing value test.
- Slump Core
- Vee-Bee Consistometer
Highway Material Testing laboratory :
Highway Material Lab is equipped with all the equipments like:
- CBR testing machine.
- Marshal stability testing machine
- Ductility Testing machine
- Penetrometer Equipment
- Striping Value Apparatus
- OMC/MDD determination etc
FUTURE OF CIVIL ENGINEERING
Future prospects of Civil Engineering Increase in population along with increasing urbanization has facilitated the need for sustainable and efficient infrastructures. Rise in non-residential projects including sewage & waste disposal, transportation, education, streets & highways, and water supply are major contributors results in large number of jobs. Development in several areas such as green buildings, sensor-embedded roads & buildings, Geo-polymer concrete, and water management will result in global growth of civil engineering industry.